Sunday, January 17, 2010

What is it like to be married to a functioning alcoholic wife?

I know someone in this situation. His wife drinks all throughout her day at work. She drinks all weekend. Her husband is a good friend and I just wondered what must it be like for him when they are home together. He doesn't like her drinking so much and doesn't know how to get her to stop.What is it like to be married to a functioning alcoholic wife?
1. It is miserable for both parties.


2. It is difficult to stop until one has hit rock bottom, however, a proper intervention might give her her enough reasons/guilt/sanctions to ';try'; rehab where she will hopefully learn the truth about her disease.What is it like to be married to a functioning alcoholic wife?
It's sad because I think you never get to truly be with that person. They're never entirely clear %26amp; you're only getting about 1/2 of them at any time. I'm around a lot of addicts because my husband is a recovering drug addict %26amp; it's painful to see someone you love doing that. I have some addiction problems myself. Whether technically functioning or not, they're always hanging onto the bottom rung. I drink but I absolutely draw the line at drinking while on the job %26amp; especially driving. I think that's a point where you are really lying to yourself. He probably just doesn't know how to cope with it %26amp; he enables her to a certain extent by turning a blind eye. I know a lot about addiction %26amp; even I do that still. The thought of issuing an ultimatum or just leaving when you know how much the person is struggling, is heartbreaking just at the thought of it.
I am sure at times it is fun and mainly miserable. Married to an alcoholic is a sad life. I have a family member that is one. He is a great guy works all week and lives his life to get drunk all weekend every weekend. His whole life wraps neatly around drinking. One grows tired of the same old same old and moves on. He has been married several times and will no doubt be involved several more. Sad, because he is a great guy and even after several wife's he doesn't see what his problem is...
Well if i were the husband and truly did love my wife i would seek help and get her to a rehabilitation facility because the worst thing someone can do is neglect her condition.
Situations like this make me sad. A male friend of mine is in the same situation. I think they're blinded by love and need to make the right choices to move on with their life without this other person bringing them down.
Miserable.
have her go to an aa meeting, they can provide support and help for helping her reduce her drinking.
Hell!
  • good makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment