Thursday, January 21, 2010

What are some benfits to getting married to someone in the military?

my boyfriend is a marine. he's just finishing his mos and he's a pfc. just wondering if we get married what are some benefits? I want to know about every benefit you know. please %26amp; thank you.





ps. im not getting married for the benefits..im just wondering.What are some benfits to getting married to someone in the military?
well everyone else told you what you do get as far as finances. However my husband just joined last year and i find the greatest benefit being that he is deployed right now and when July 4th rolled around and i was decorating my house i had a new sense of pride hanging my flags in my front yard. I also find alot of pride in knowing that people in this country can sleep at night knowing my soldier is on the front lines of Afghanistan protecting them. But I also know it takes a special person to be married to any member of any service and that us at home have just as hard a job. So only marry him if you know you can be mentally strong for him. And be with him and support him every step of his career.What are some benfits to getting married to someone in the military?
I was a military kid, then wife. until age 28. I'm 44 now so some things may have changed but here are some bennies I remember.





Getting to travel to interesting places...wherever my dad or husband was stationed. Often the family could go on the overseas tours also, but we never did. I'd have loved to have lived overseas.





The health benefits used to be good, and were covered by the military. No deductibles for doc visits and such. you just made your appt and went to the hospital. Meds were covered as well.





More job security (for the active duty person) than in the civilian world. That's a benefit especially these days with so many companies laying off people.





BX and Commissary for shopping, used to beat just about any stores off base. Wal-Mart might have changed that though.





If you plan on having kids, the health benefits would be great as who can afford the deductibles and copays and all that for having a baby? That stuff can add up.





Those are some things off the top of my head...
housing allowance, medical, extremely discounted dental (my sis pays like 12 bucks a month w/her hubby in the navy but no copays on any medical services), job security (for your hubby), help paying for school (up to like 4k a year i think??) for you as a military spouse, discounted purchasing on base, + military discount at a lot of off base establishments (hotels, tours, museums..).





*if you dont take the housing allowance and live on base it is like living in a high security gated community. Really great when your guy is away, makes you feel very safe*
Health insurance, dental, commissary (grocery), exchange (kind of like a small department store), housing, and many more benefits available to military personnel and their dependents (discounts,....).





But the biggest benefit of getting married for me was for the (scary and practical) reason that should something happen to him (knock on wood), that the military will let me know.
you get medical insurance paid for.


you can get on the base


you can get dental insurance for really cheap


you get discounts wherever the military discounts are


his pay will go up


you will get housing allowance


and if he ever deploys you will get separation pay.





that's all i know of...theres probably more
military id, housing allowance, seperation pay, combat pay is higher with dependants, health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance.


the big ones are the life insurance and the housing allowance. the housing allowance is pretty high. and they move your stuff for free. and he wont have to live in the barracks anymore. hope this helps
Medical and things on base.


You will get free dentil, doctors appt (that reminds me, I have one next week.hah.)


And you can buy food on base..although people say its cheaper..but not really, I shopped on base for food and it was about the same as if I went to a cheap grocery store..


but anyway that is pretty much it...oh he gets extra pay and you guys get BAH. Email me if you have questions :)


~Marine Wife
Yes you are you you would not be asking the benefit is companionship and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment