Saturday, January 23, 2010

For how long do I have to be married to a New Jersey resident to qualify for in-state tuition?

I'm planning to attend a college in New Jersey but I am from out-of-state and I don't want to have to pay the out-of-state tuition. I am currently reviewing all my options which include marriage to a New Jersey resident. My question is: do I have to be married to him for a certain amount of time before I qualify? If I annul the marriage immediately afterwards, will I still be eligible? And will this make me financially independent? Any downsides to that?For how long do I have to be married to a New Jersey resident to qualify for in-state tuition?
http://catalogs.rutgers.edu/generated/nb鈥?/a>


The Effect of Marriage


A nonresident student who marries a bona fide New Jersey domiciliary assumes the domicile of that spouse for tuition purposes in the term following marriage. The same test for residency will be applied to spouses when a marriage is claimed as the basis for domicile. No change in status will occur when a domiciliary student marries a nondomiciliary.





http://admissions.rutgers.edu/Libraries/鈥?/a>


http://admissions.rutgers.edu/costs/tuit鈥?/a>





Being married makes you an independent student for fin aid purposes, if you annul the marriage and you do not meet any of the other qualifications to be independent (you are not over 24, have kids you support, are not a veteran etc) then upon the annulment you will NOT be married any longer and your dependency status will switch back to ';dependent'; again and you will have to report your parents info again.

No comments:

Post a Comment