Thursday, January 21, 2010

What should I give to a married couple with their first newborn?

I will be meeting with a married couple later in the evening to meet their new baby boy. I would consider them acquaintences, but I used to be close with the husband. My boyfriend and the husband we're really close until religion split them up. (The husband and wife are SUPER religious, while me and my boyfriend are not.) They have a 20-day old baby boy and I would like to get them something nice, quick, and not too expensive (Christmas is coming up!). They did NOT invite us to the baby shower.What should I give to a married couple with their first newborn?
an ornament that says our first christmas and have the year on it. its cute and you could always design it yourself to make it extra cheapWhat should I give to a married couple with their first newborn?
I would say just a cute outfit (go for a 3-6 month size; they probably got a lot of newborn stuff and could use some larger sizes) and maybe a baby rattle - nothing too expensive but nice enough to say ';Welcome'; to the little babe.
Books are a good idea, maybe a nice blanket. I wouldn't spend too much.
I picked up an Itzbeen baby clock/timer. They aren't that expensive, still new on the market and have fabulous reviews! Perfect for dazed first time parents, and great to have for transition times, like if you have someone coming to watch the baby for a bit. It tells how long since they last napped, wet a diaper, took meds possibly, fed...all sorts of usefull stuff!
I didn't invite many to my baby shower!! Get them some grow suits or a nice photo frame. I always needed grow suits (Pratical bonds ones) and never received a photo frame for her first picture. The books for the baby's first year are great as well, you can record every first...most people buy toys, and cute clothes e.t.c.
diapers because it seems like that friendship went to S*** and I'm sure they could use them. I'd recommend a size or two bigger than what the baby needs because I'm sure they got plenty of the appropriate size for now at the baby shower.
A Piggy Bank they have them at JcPennys and they are cute maybe an outfit!
Books are always a great idea. If you pick a couple children's books to help build the baby's library, that's always appreciated. Just remember which kid's books were your favorites and wrap a few up (Where the Wild Things Are, etc.) Maybe a board book for when the baby is another couple months old.
The person hosting the shower generally has more control over who comes and how much money they personally spend feeding everyone. So don't blame the couple and think about it .... if you went to the shower you'd be giving them a total of two gifts... so you should probably spend the money for one decent gift anyway.





Get a three month or later outfit so they have one handy. Most people seem to give newborn gifts and the little tykes don't stay that tiny for long.





Better yet bring them food. It is hard to keep up with eating while trying to feed a newborn every few hours and all those diapers. Just make sure the food fits their religion if that is a concern.





It's also nice to bring flowers for the mom. It's been roughest on her.
Just about anything would do. Face clothes, bottle brushes, onesies, diapers, bottles, you name it! I am sure they will appreciate anything you give them :-)
Diapers...Diapers...and more Diapers...seriously....when my wife and I had our little girl (2 years ago) we got lot of diapers..they just ran out...isn't that awesome...we just recently had to start buying diapers for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment