Saturday, January 23, 2010

How did my my ex file as married filling jointly electronically without my permission?

At the end of 2007 I was married but separated. He filled taxes as ';jointly'; electronically and got a stimlus check that corresponded to two people plus my daughters.


Arent their any security guidelines for this mistake not to happen? Is it that easy? What can I do about this?


He seems to not know that it was wrong because according to him they didnt ask for my signature.How did my my ex file as married filling jointly electronically without my permission?
Just call the IRS and let them know that he filed fraudulently. You have no way of knowing what he reported on that return and since it is at this moment considered your return--you are legally responsible as much as he is for the information on it.


The IRS's number is 1 800 829 1040. If you don't believe me, look it up. I'd feel better for you too.


As far as the stimulus goes, it was supposed to be an advance payment off of this years taxes and you should take up the question with the IRS since he filed without your permission.





For the poster above me, did you personally file your own taxes last year? If he filed married filing separately the IRS would require you to file the same way. If he filed married filing jointly, one of you would not have been able to e-file and you'd be hashing it out with the IRS trying to prove who was in the right.


However, if you can prove that you were unmarried and had sole custody of the kids--you should be able to get it all straightened out if it is a fraud case.How did my my ex file as married filling jointly electronically without my permission?
What signature. He efiled. The IRS can't tell whose fingerprints were on the keyboard.





If you had your own filing requirement, you would have filed on your own and the duplicate use of the SSN would have been obvious.





If you are filing now and not getting the stimulus because you filed last year when you say you didn't, write the service center and explain that your ex filed an ';invalid joint return.'; You can ';win'; if you can show you weren't living with him, didn't have any income to file and didn't benefit from the refund. You will lose if the tax return included any income for you, especially if you had income of more than $3400 and didn't file on your own.
My ex did the same thing. Except he was at an HR Block office and the guy told him to claim our kids (I have sole custody) and I don't know how they got away with putting me on it. Long story short....I am waiting for my $4000 2007 refund from the IRS. It looks like I am out the rebate ($1800 for me and our 4 kids) because the jerk got that too.





Do your kids live with you? For more than 6 months of the year? Do you have any income? I made under $30K that year and was qualified for the EIC, the child credit, etc. and that meant a big refund. If you are working, you need to look into what you might be entitled to - it could be quite a lot of money.
  • north face book bags
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment