Sunday, May 9, 2010

Getting married in the fall and have no one to throw me a bridal shower. Is throwing a housewarming party ok?

I do not have a bridal party just 2 witnesses. No one is planning a shower for me. My fiance and I just bought a house and are moving in soon. Is it Ok for us to throw a housewarming instead? Of course we would not ask for gifts but would hope our close friends would know it's kind of in lieu of a shower.Getting married in the fall and have no one to throw me a bridal shower. Is throwing a housewarming party ok?
Are you sure no one is planning a shower? You said you aren't getting married until the fall. I agree with the above answer, I'd wait a little while to see if anyone comes forward.





According to etiquette, it can be viewed as ';tacky'; to throw your own party.





However, if no one does throw a shower, I think you should have a small get-together or something after the wedding at your house. Maybe a bbq or something, just to show off the new place :)





Congrats on the house and getting married :)Getting married in the fall and have no one to throw me a bridal shower. Is throwing a housewarming party ok?
Really you can have whatever type of party you want. If you give it a name people will assume gifts are expected. Just like any bridal shower, baby shower, housewarming party, it has a name %26amp; a purpose so people will probably bring gifts. We got married in Maui by ourselves with 2 witnesses %26amp; when we got home we had a ';hey come over'; party to watch our video %26amp; pictures. So the invite was pretty random %26amp; not an organized event of any kind so nobody felt like they needed gifts, you know? If you send me an invitation to a house warming, I'll definitely be bringing food, alcohol, and presents.
If it's not about gifts, then what you having is a party and not in lieu of anything. If you want gifts or cash contritutions, then be very straightforward about having a rent party and ask for $X per head to cover ice, soft drinks, grill, charcoal, bread, and veg. Bring your own booze, bring your own main dish (steak, burger, etc) for the host to grill to your specs. Or just call it a cocktail or dinner party or a tea or whatever, and don't mention anything about your warming up your house and your wedding being small. Get the two seperated in your mind. Sorry, but your wedding is over, and that was it. Quite a lot of us just never get to have a big wedding, and that's the way life goes.
No. A housewarming party shouldn't be in lieu of a shower, which is an optional event. And, as you seem to already know, a housewarming party isn't a gift giving event, and a shower is. We never host gift giving parties for ourselves. I would wait to see if someone comes forward. You never know - they may be making it a surprise.
Yes, absolutely and perfectly fine. Everybody will want to see the new house. I didn't have a shower either, but I didn't want one (I don't go to them any more either).





I ended up having my reception at my home because everybody wanted to see our new house and since my guest list only had 35, that was doable. We got a number of furniture and other 'new house' gifts, which was GREAT considering I didn't think we'd get any gifts (my hubby has been before).
Most people will take some sort of gift to a housewarming. The only thing is you probably won't register; however, I know some people who do and personally, it's tacky. But you can do whatever you need to do. I like the idea of the housewarming.
sounds good to me. you could even put on the invites


in lieu of a bridal shower, we are throwing a housewarming party





and then whatever other details you want to throw in there
It's fine to throw yourselves a housewarming party. I don't know that I would make the connection between a housewarming party and a wedding shower though.
It's your house and you can do what ever you chose to do. You really can have both if that's what you feel.
A housewarming is a WONDERFUL idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment