Thursday, May 13, 2010

What happens to your financial aid if you get married during college?

I just need to know- does the amount of financial aid you would receive as a single person suddenly get cut in half if you're married?What happens to your financial aid if you get married during college?
It depends on what you status is now.





When I started college I was fresh out of high school...in which they generally take in consideration your parent(s) income when calculating your financial aid package.(you are generally considered a dependant until you are over the age of 25)


I got married toward the end of my college career and my financial aid actually increased because I became eligible for loans that I was not prior to getting married, due to change of dependancy.





If you have financial aid based on income, you will probably see a decrease in those if your significant other is currently working, though may see a increase if they are not..





Do you currently receive grants and scholarships? Those really shouldn't increase or decrease unless they specifically state they are for a single person.





It's been a while since I have dealt with this, but I beleive the loans may stay the same (they were generally calculated based on year in school rather than income) You can search information on federal loans and their requirements online.








Hope this helps!
  • face blush
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment