Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Will I get a rebate check if I file married filing seperate?

My husband and I filed seperate, he is getting a refund and I owe 327.00 will we get any rebate checks?Will I get a rebate check if I file married filing seperate?
For the purposes of the rebate, married filing seperate is treated as single. You must each qualify for the rebate based on your own 2007 earnings and Federal Income Tax liability.





You would be eligible to receive a rebate of up to $600 if you paid that much in Federal Income Tax. If you only paid $350 in taxes (less than the $600 rebate limit), you only get back $350. If you had earned income of at least $3000, you would get at least the minimum rebate of $300.





Use the Kiplinger rebate tax calculator (link below) to compute your rebate.Will I get a rebate check if I file married filing seperate?
Your tax liability determines how much of a rebate you qualify for, not whether you paid or got a refund. If your tax liability is between $300 and $600 you'll get a rebate equal to that amount. If your tax liability is higher than $600, you'll get $600. If your tax liability is less than $300 but you had $3,000 or more in qualifying income then you'd receive $300. Those rules apply to each of you individually since you filed separate returns.





Here's a link to the IRS pages on the rebates: http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=177鈥?/a> It should answer all of your questions.
As long as you file, and meet the minimum requirement of 3000 dollars of taxable income in 2007, you will get a rebate check. Also, if you owe, you are subject to receive around 600 dollars. Just sit tight and wait for that check

No comments:

Post a Comment