Sunday, May 9, 2010

I married last year how will my tax return work?

If my wife and I file jointly, since all my refund in prior taxes is taken by the government for an unpaid student loan will then our joint file be taken?I married last year how will my tax return work?
It will be taken unless your wife completes and attaches a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, to your joint return. The IRS will determine what her share of the refund is and will pay that to her. The rest will go towards your student loan debt.I married last year how will my tax return work?
TFTP

Report Abuse



If your refund is taken for unpaid student loans, then the joint refund will be taken unless she files an injured spouse form. If she files that, then only the portion of the refund that's due to your earnings and withholdings will be taken.





Suggestion - get it paid off, then you won't have to worry about this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment