Sunday, May 9, 2010

How do I go about filing taxes newly married and divorced last year?

I usually don't get much back. I was a teacher and I have a farm that I lease out. My new husband worked at Wal Mart last year and joined the Navy. We married in Nov. Can I still claim my ex husband for the two moths he lived with me as I paid his medical expenses for Jan. and Feb. last year.How do I go about filing taxes newly married and divorced last year?
From your question I can't be sure when you were married and divorced. If you were legally single on 12-31-08 you will file as Single. If you were married on that date, you can file Married Filing Separately or Married Filing Jointly if your husband agrees. If single, you cannot claim him since he apparently made over $3500 during the year.How do I go about filing taxes newly married and divorced last year?
no you can't claim expenses related to him because you aren't married and he isn't considered a dependent.
If the medical bills were in your name you might be able to go to over to htpp://www.irs.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment