Wednesday, January 13, 2010

When I get married do I have to change my status for my paycheck and include 2 dependants?

How does it work ? If I get married do I have to say 2 dependents or 1? What about my husband?When I get married do I have to change my status for my paycheck and include 2 dependants?
You are not REQUIRED to increase your withholding allowances, but you will likely have more taxes withheld than necessary if you do not.





Go to the W4 assistant, enter your data, and it will compute your withholding allowances for you.





http://www.paycheckcity.com/w4/w4instruc鈥?/a>When I get married do I have to change my status for my paycheck and include 2 dependants?
You OR your husband can claim two, but not both of you. If your husband claims two, you should claim none.


OR, he can claim himself and you can claim yourself.
The right thing to do is manage the situation to get the refund you want. I think it's best to get a very small refund.





If you are going to get married this year, you can raise your allowances now to compensate. If you get married in December, and don't change your W2 until then, it won't make enough impact on your last paycheck to make any difference on your tax return. Your tax return will treat you as married for the entire year.





So, as someone else suggested, look at a W4 calculator online and let it do some math. But if you are getting married this year, put yourself as married in the calculator.





The W2 calculator in the link above does not seem to compensate for a two-income family.
No you dont ';have'; to but its to your advantage to do so.
Fill out a W-4 at work.


You can change your status or not.


Single and 0 to Married and 0 or 1, for each of you.


I suggest always claiming fewer exemptions than permitted to avoid having to pay tax in April.


As long as you don't claim far more exemptions than you are entitled to, have way too little withheld, it's not a problem with the IRS.
The simplest thing is to do nothing. At this time next year, when you will file jointly, if you find you get a big refund, change your W4 (or your husband's), so less is witheld from each check.
you do not have to claim anybody if you do not want

No comments:

Post a Comment