Wednesday, January 13, 2010

If I am married but not currently living with my husband (military) how should we file our taxes?

I am getting married next month, but I am unable to live with my husband until May 2009 (hes in the military), I am unsure of how to file our taxes because we wil have residency in 2 different states.If I am married but not currently living with my husband (military) how should we file our taxes?
Once you are married, you can file married filing jointly or married filing separately.





Plus, you will need to file a part-year resident tax return for each state that you live.If I am married but not currently living with my husband (military) how should we file our taxes?
Since you are not currently married you might just want to file them separately. However if you do get married you can just choose your new state of residence as the location to file taxes.That is to the best of my knowledge. He might be tax exempt however, you might want to check on that part because of the military service. Americans living overseas are tax exempt.
You can still file a joint return for federal, or can file as married filing separately, for 2008.
Once you get married, you can file jointly as long as you establish one ';principal residence'; even if you are temporarily absent. Your other option is to file as ';married filing separately'; but you cannot file as ';single.';
married but filing singely

No comments:

Post a Comment