Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I was married in April and just now realized that my employer did not change my filing status?

I need to know how this will affect me and my husband when filing comes around. Should I change it now, or just leave it?I was married in April and just now realized that my employer did not change my filing status?
You should have it changed. Usually you will be asked to fill out a new W-4 and on this you specify how many exemptions you have. The form walks you through the questions and HR should be able to help with any questions.


How this will affect you next year, really depends on how many exemptions both you and your husband were taking before you got married and what you are both taking now. If you were taking zero - then you will not have to worry about owing taxes at the end of the year. Typically, people have too many taxes taken out of their paychecks so they receive a refund. Therefore, your refund might be less this year, but just know that you were paid more throughout the year.


Good luck!I was married in April and just now realized that my employer did not change my filing status?
If you now are withholding at a single rate, you may have over-withheld your taxes due, or not. Your taxes will depend on both you and your spouse's incomes and your filing statuses before you were married.





I recommend at this point you wait and do your taxes in January, and see if you are getting a refund or not.





If you are getting a refund (or have a balance due) and want to change your withholding from your pay, submit Form W-4 to your employer to change the amount of withholding of taxes from your pay.





http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf
The reported filing status on your W-4 form only tells the employer what chart to use in determining your withholding. In the case you describe my guess is that they are taking out more income tax withholding than would be required if they had made the change. The result is that you are likely to get a larger refund than you would have had the change gone into effect. The filing status reported on the w-4 will not keep you from using your married status when you file your tax return (IRS Form 1040).
Don't worry about it. Your withholding probably would not change significantly.
1. did you give him a new W-4 form?


2. it will not be a problem, when you file your taxes you will need to file correctly.
It was not your employer's responsiblity to change -- it was, and is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment