Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Is anyone here married to someone who works for the railroad?

Is it a good job? What are the good and bad things about it?Is anyone here married to someone who works for the railroad?
I started with the BNSF railroad many years ago. The system hasn't changed though. The first couple years, your life isn't really yours. You never know when you'll work - might have to leave at 2:00 a.m. - might leave Friday and get back Sunday. And after you get home, might have to go right back in 8 or 10 hours. This is trainmen I'm speaking of here. If you're asked to attend a wedding, for example, or a reunion next month or in two months, all you can say is I don't know if I can make it. Because you don't have any idea if you'll be working. If you can put up with all the inconvenience for the first two or three years, then gradually trainmen earn more and more ability to choose when and where they can work. It's a process. After a time, trainmen eventually can pick to work trains that earn the most money in the shortest time. And then the work becomes a regular job. I now work for an industrial short line railroad with nights, weekends and holidays off. Unheard of in railroading, and it's great. I'm not married, but most of the people are. How a three way marraige holds up, (you, husband, railroad.) depends on you and your spouse.Is anyone here married to someone who works for the railroad?
the insurance is good. even though the cost is going up it is still a bargain. work hours can be rough especially if you are in train service which I am not. I am in the mechanical department on the car side. shift work is something that a lot of people need to get used to but all-in-all it is a good honest career
Nope
Indeed, working for the railroad is excellent regarding pay and benefits, which can reach six figures just as an engineer for one of the major Class Is (i.e., the largest railroads in the country). Perhaps the biggest drawback is (as has already been mentioned) the very long hours away from home, at least if you work for a larger railroad. You must available 24/7 and 12-hour days are normal.
My wife is.


It can be very very difficult, there were a LOT of times when our kids were small that I wasnt home.


For some women it works fine, for others it is impossible.


I think if you are strong and somewhat independent you will be fine.


Women (or spouses) that are very dependent have a hard time coping.


I dont have numbers to back up this, but from personal observation I think RR's have considerably higher than normal divorce rate.


But dont despair, because I know lots of railroad families taht are exceptionally strong.


My wife is quite strong and when I was gone she was either able to cope with whatever came up or at least set it aside til I got home LOL.


Benefits are excellent, that is a huge plus.


Retirement also is great.
My husband works for UP. It is a very good job with great benefits. Being on the ';road'; or on call are the only bad things really. We have children %26amp; I need some help often. He doesn't work on the road or on call anymore. Working where there is a union ensures good working conditions %26amp; fairness for the most part.


(answered by the wife)

No comments:

Post a Comment