Monday, December 28, 2009

Getting married and I need some help on rings?

I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend within the next few months. I'm close to having the perfect ring I just need to pick out what type of material to have it set in, I'm leaning more towards platinum because what I've read up on is really good.





If anyone has experience in purchasing an engagement ring I could really use your advice.


Getting married and I need some help on rings?
Platinum is recommended as the best. Mine's 14K white gold because after a lot of research, there wasn't a HUGE different between the two as far as quality goes (platinum is a little stronger), but the different in price was certainly bigger. I chose to have a more higher quality diamond over the setting, and I'm very happy with my choice.





EDIT: Oops, typo. I meant 18K white gold, not 14.Getting married and I need some help on rings?
Asking which is better plat of white gold is like asking which is better wool or silk...it depends on what kind of clothing you are making...Most websites etc will tell you that platinum is the better way to go, mainly because platinum is more expensive and most websites are selling you something. really what you should be considering is not a simple list of pro's and cons, but rather asking what is the metal being used for. for example because platinum is more durable (not harder, just denser and therefore lasts longer because there is more material there to begin with)) it works better for engraving and pave work (holding in lots of little diamonds) the engraved pattern doesn't wear away as quickly when done in platinum and the tiny beads (claws) holding in the little diamonds don't break down as quickly in platinum. HOWEVER if you are looking at a high polish (read very shiny) surface on a ring, platinum scuffs like soft leather very easily because it is more malleable. If you are considering a high polish ring you may be better off with a 19 karat white gold as it is much harder than platinum and does not scuff as easily. 19 K also has fewer problems with yellowing like 18 or 14k white gold, so in general I always reccomend 19k over 18 or 14k.
I don't know a lot about platinum, but my ring is white gold, I've been wearing it for over a year now, and it's still just as amazing today as it was when my husband proposed. It does get tiny little scratches in it that the jeweler sees when I get it cleaned, but I honestly don't see them. I am very happy with it. Speak with a jeweler and ask what the pros and cons of each are. Your choice may also very depending on what your girlfriend does for a living. Whatever you end up going with, I wish you the best of luck!
Platinum is good material and it looks really nice. However, many girls prefer gold. Most of them today wear white gold. The problem with white gold is that there really is no such thing as white gold. It's yellow gold mixed with I believe silver to give it the color. Over time, it has to be re-plated because the yellow gold begins to come through. So, if you go with white gold, make sure to go through a major jewelry company (Kay's Zale's, Reed's, etc.) and get a protection plan for it. The plan is around $50 depending on the ring. They do it by the amount you spend and take a percentage of it. But it includes cleanings, re-plating, loose stones, broken brackets, and any other problems except theft or loss for life. I have a $3000. ring and the plan only cost my husband $50.
Gold or platinum are fine, but don't get too soft gold. Anyway, make sure the part of the band that touches the finger is solid, and smooth, because my wedding band had a wide and deep ridge on the inside that allowed water to get in there and then whenever I washed my hands there was water up against my skin. It eventually made my finger sore and I can't wear that ring... :( for more than a few days at a time.
Well, I have had both a platinum engagement ring and a white gold engagement ring. Platinum is a stronger metal and also more expensive. I chose to go with white gold the second time because I prefered to spend more money on the actual diamond then on the metal. I like the idea that I can have a redipped and it looks brand new again. Either way i'm sure she will love it!
Pay attention to what she wears and find out what she prefers. My fiance got platinum because of the strength and resilience of the metal. It's gorgeous and I love it and he knew I would! Just see what she wears the most and then make the decision. Between white gold and platinum, I wold choose the better of the two metals. But you also have to consider your budget. Just get the best quality you can for what you can afford.





Good luck!
You really need to find out what she prefers. I prefer the yellow gold. It looks like gold, not silver. (You can buy cheep CZ rings made of silver that look like Platinum / white gold diamond rings,) I like the 14K gold, because though it is still soft, it is not so soft that it gets damaged easily. My husbands ring is 10K yellow gold so he can wear it even when working without damaging it.


Good Luck!
We chose platinum, because we preferred the silver look to the gold look. White gold is good. It's cheaper, lighter, and more prone to scratches. Platinum is more expensive and heavier, and while it does still scratch a little, requires less maintenance.
I don't know about material but my suggestion is to pay attention to weather or not she wears yellow or white gold already and stick with that.





Good luck to you!
I prefer yellow gold but ask her what she likes
i have a very nice one here for sale its gold half carrot ill take 300 for it it made need to takre sized jeweler to be resized

No comments:

Post a Comment