Saturday, December 26, 2009

Can I file married on my tax return if i got married in August?

I recently got married on August 11, 2007 and would like to know if I can file single for 2007 or if I need to file married. Also, do I need to change my deduction amount on my W-4 this year or can I wait until next year? Please tell me how to handle these things with the tax season coming soon.Can I file married on my tax return if i got married in August?
your filing status married vs. single is based on your status on December 31st. There is no longer a marriage penalty, so this should be no biggy. If your married, then you CANNOT claim to be single. Some non-community property states will allow you to filing separately, if that's benefitial.


The W-4 is your friend when it comes to paying taxes correctly, so changing this as soon as possible is to your benefit.Can I file married on my tax return if i got married in August?
The key date is Dec 31st of every year. What is your martial status on Dec 31st? You will have two choices: Married filing jointly or Married Filing Separately which is the least desirable filing status to use.
You can change your W-4 whenever you want to, but if you are married as of the end of the year, you can't file as single or as head of household, you file a joint return or file as married filing separately.
Your tax status is determined by what you are on 12/31. So, yes, you file married, joint..


you can file ,married, seperate, but please believe me, you'll do a lot better if you file married, joint. , , , want to save money/ File married/joint.


Your w4? you can take care of that anytime. Whenever you get around to it.


If your are claiming single, there's more being taken out than if you claim, married. BUT, you will get the excess back next year when you file.


I'm glad to see you planning for this now, rather than wait until the last minute.
The law requires that you file married. You can change the w-4 anytime you want. Being withheld at single will always withhold more than married anyway so it will decrease your tax bill or increase your refund.





I hope that this helps.
If you get divorced no later than December 31, then you can file single. If you are still married when the year ends, you must file married. You should change your W-4 now, but there is no penalty for failing to do so.
Yes, married on 12/31 is married for the entire year.





You never really ';have'; to change your W-4. It's up to you how much you want taken out.

No comments:

Post a Comment